Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My Assignment

Well, I just got home from one of the best women's meetings our church has had in years.  I think there was a combination of things that culminated tonight to make it so phenomenal and it was just what I needed.  

Pastor Lisa spoke tonight on "Assignments" -what we are called to do.  And for the first time, that I have ever truly heard, she pointed out that what our assignment is, may not necessarily be our passion.  Some examples she gave from the Bible included Noah.  His assignment was to build an ark.  But do we know that woodworking was his passion?  What about Jonah?  He was called to go to Ninevah and he ran away from that assignment.  How about Mary?  Her assignment was to give birth to Jesus, but that probably wasn't what she was passionate about.  My guess is she wanted to plan a nice wedding, make a home for her and Joseph, and then think about having kids.  She probably wasn't terribly fond of the whispers behind her back about being pregnant out of wedlock, but it was her assignment.  

For years I have struggled with this.  I am passionate about  many things, but don't really feel God leading me in the direction of pursuing those things as far as a life-calling goes.  I keep telling God that I know there is something more for me than what I'm doing now.  And maybe there is, but right now, He has confirmed tonight that my assignment is to continue to help my husband build our business.  

Pastor Lisa asked who was counting on me to fulfill my assignment.  That really got to me.  In addition to my family, we have a team of employees that are counting on me - and most of those employees have families themselves -kids to feed, rent, gas for their car, clothing, etc. Not only do our employees (or team members as we prefer to call them) count of me to fulfill my assignment, but our business partner does too.  And that partner, has a family as well.  Our partner is a divine connection from God and I can't let that family down.  They took a chance on us, we are building something together, and I am a part of that.  I must fulfill my assignment!

I still think there is something else inside of me that God will use in an entirely different fashion. When the timing is right, it will come about when it is supposed to.  In the meantime, I will man my post and fulfill my assignment to the best of my ability.

I am committed to my assignment.  Are you?

1 comment:

Kara said...

All I can say is "ARGH!" Thanks for sharing friend...I think! Love you!