Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Who we are is not what we do . . . .

It's weird being in a place in my life where I am not involved in ministry.  Since I resigned from Children's Ministry I've been instructed not to jump into anything and just sit and be refreshed for awhile.  Many who serve/volunteer on a regular basis would think that an incredible opportunity, but honestly I am struggling with it.  I feel as if I am wandering around my church, lost, not exactly sure where I fit in anymore.  I've lost my title and in that it's almost as if I've lost my identity.  

Leading in Children's Ministry shouldn't have defined who I am, but I think it did and I guess I need to work myself out of that mindset, because now I am looking for where I fit and the next definition of who I am so I can find my identity again.  Now, I'm not always the sharpest crayon in the box, but I know enough to know that my title/position isn't who I am - it may be a part of what I do, but it's not who I am.  So, that made me ask myself who I really am.  All i came up with was titles - mom, wife, business owner, church member, friend, etc.  How do we get out of the place where who we are is not what we do?  I'm not sure I can even begin to answer that for myself.  

I know Whose I am, but who am I really and how do I define that without titles?  If you know the answer to this, I'm listening! 

No comments: