Tuesday, May 1, 2007

What Are You Saying?

Ok, so the power of positive thinking and positive confessions isn't really a new concept for me at all. It's biblical and I believe in God, so, why is it that I feel my prayers aren't being answered. . .

I believe in God, but do I really believe God? Sure I believe God can do anything for anyone. I pray and hold fast and confess positive increase into my life, but what do I do when things don't turn out like I think they should? I discovered tonight at our ladies meeting, something that I already knew, but a new twist was revealed to me. I am praying, confessing, and believing for God to bless my life (which He does), but there are some areas I'm not seeing improvement in. So, when I don't see the improvement I feel should be there, I whine and complain (typically called "venting") that God isn't working in my life and He's not doing what He said He would do. So, when I verbalize that whine and complaint, I am completely negating, speaking cursings, if you will, over my life! Duh! When the going gets tough, instead of speaking more positive, speaking more blessings, and speaking things that aren't as though they were, I curl up in the fetal position, suck my thumb, and doubt the Almighty Creator of heaven and earth. How childish is that?!

I guess the big question is why I didn't realize that before. I thought by praying and confessing the positive I was doing the right things. . . and I was. But when I didn't get my way, I threw a fit instead of fighting harder with words of affirmation and success.

Our pastor's wife spoke this evening on this topic and she showed us in the Bible where God spoke the world and all of creation into existence. He didn't just think it into existence, He spoke it. Well, if He has to speak something into existence, wouldn't it be the same for me. I can't just think it, I have to continue to speak it and not speak against myself when tough times hit. The bible is the living, breathing Word of God. If I speak it, it has to come to pass because God can't lie. He is Truth. If I really believe in Him. I need to believe Him.

So, what are you saying? Are you speaking life into your husband, your family, your education, your finances, etc. or are you speaking death? What are you saying?

2 comments:

Life in the Livingston Household said...

WOW! Since I wasn't there can I borrow your notes?

Nellie said...

Let me assure you that you will continue to discover more and more of what God so lovingly wants us to hear. And well on into your fifth decade of life (ahem, speaking from personal experience) you will be saying, "I can't believe I didn't get this before now." It's all part of the continuing work and power of the cleansing blood of our Savior and the whispers of the Holy Spirit in our ears. Bless you, sweet one!